Saturday, February 11, 2017

One Bowl Chocolate Cake


Hey there, hope your Saturday is going well.  I've been busy preparing for Zachary's 9th birthday party tomorrow and making cupcakes has been part of that preparation.

I've never been a huge fan of chocolate cake until I was given this recipe by my Aunt Judy.  A friend passed it on to her then she passed it on the me and it is hands down the BEST and MOISTEST chocolate cake I've ever had.  I'll never make any other chocolate cake recipe again.  This is my go to recipe from here on out.

As you can see, we have a Batman theme going here.  We're going to see the Lego Batman Movie after having pizza and cupcakes and when I spotted these gummy bat symbols in the baking aisle, I knew they'd be perfect.  I tinted the frosting with a bit of black food coloring then sprinkled silver sugar on top.  Ignore the Halloween cupcake liners, I thought I had some plain ones in my stash and when I discovered I didn't, was too lazy to go back to the store.  :)

Here's the cake recipe, it really is all done in one bowl and is super easy.

2 cups of flour
2 cups of sugar
1/2 cup of baking cocoa
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup of vegetable oil
1 cup of buttermilk
2 eggs
1 cup of hot water from the tap

In a large bowl (as large as you have, this makes a lot of batter) combine the dry ingredients.  Stir in oil, buttermilk and eggs, add hot water last.  Stir until smooth and combined, a whisk is easiest.

Bake until toothpick comes out clean, about 35 minutes or so.  The timing depends on if you do two small pans or one large sheet pan.  Cupcakes take less time.  Either way, keep an eye on it.

Buttercream frosting:

1/2 cup shortening
1 stick of softened butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 bag of confectioner's sugar

Or, my favorite way to frost this cake is with chocolate whipping cream. Whip heavy cream until stiff, be sure to add some sugar, usually a few tablespoons at least.  Then add some chocolate syrup.  If you choose to frost your cake this way, it will have to stay refrigerated once frosted.  It's delicious any way you frost it. 

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!  Take care, oxox

No comments:

Post a Comment